Vim Tips Wiki

Reserved characters

Forum page

1,624pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Forums: Index > Help desk > Reserved characters

I can't find any documentation for what characters should be escaped in a wiki.

Here is what I have been able to infer:

' [ two or more times for wiki formatting
{ two or more times for wiki features
 : * # (in the first column) for indents/lists
= (in the first column?) for headings
- (in the first column?) four times for a horizontal rule
~ three or more times for a signature
# sometimes prefixes key words like REDIRECT
< (less-than) should be ampersand-l-t-semicolon

The current tips, imported from html, break the wiki rules in a few places, and have many other characters escaped.

When you edit some tips, you see a blizzard of *lt; *gt; *amp; *#35; (I've used * instead of ampersand here - that's less-than, greater-than, ampersand, hash).

The character escaping makes editing some tips pretty hard. Following the "be bold" policy, I have removed all escapes, other than less-than, from a couple of tips.

Now I'm getting nervous. What do you think?

Can you add anything to my list of reserved characters?

It would be nice to have a definitive list of reserved characters, and some Vim techniques for finding and handling problems.

JohnBeckett 09:20, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

The pipe character | seems special as well, it needed escaping in VimTip639 for example. Ipkiss 10:18, 21 July 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for joining in. Yes, I've learnt about pipe since writing the above. The problem is that the body of a tip is actually the 'text' parameter of Template:Tip. Therefore, the body must not break the rules for a template parameter. To insert a pipe you need to use the {{!}} template. I'm busy trying other things now, but I hope to get back to this point one day and find out whether there is any benefit from having the tip body as the 'text' parameter. --JohnBeckett 10:32, 21 July 2007 (UTC)

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki