This is an archive of the From Vim Help section on the home page
We occasionally replace the FVH section on the home page, and items are copied to here so anyone interested can browse them.
To discuss suggestions for new items, please edit the talk page.
- You can have Vim try to detect whether to ignore case in searches. :help 'smartcase'
- Toggle an option by adding ! (set spell! will turn spell checking on/off). :help :set
- With set, use += to add option flags, or -= to remove them. :help add-option-flags
- :verbose abbreviate lists each abbreviation and where it was defined. :help :abbreviate-verbose
- Avoid an insert-mode abbreviation by pressing Ctrl-V (or Ctrl-Q if you use Ctrl-V for paste) before the character after the abbreviation. :help abbreviations
- Setting the 'display' option to include "lastline" will show as much of the final (wrapped) line as will fit on the screen. :help 'display'
- Use :set rl! to overcome boredom. :help 'rl'
- Or try :g/^/m0 :help :g :help :m
- And ggg?G can be just as useful. :help g?
- Use :source myfile.vim to execute Ex commands (commands prefixed with a ':') from a file. :help :source
- Use :source! myfile.vim to execute normal-mode Vim commands from a file. :help :source
- Use :scriptnames to list all sourced scripts, in order of execution. :help :scriptnames
- The system() function runs an external program and captures its output. :help system()
- The 'shell' option determines the shell used to run external programs. :help 'shell'
- The variable v:shell_error holds the return status from the last external program. :help v:shell_error
- Use :pwd to show the current directory. :help :pwd
- Use :cd - to change to the previous current directory (before last :cd /my/path). :help :cd-
- Use :lcd /my/path for "local" change directory (this window only). :help :lcd