Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is an archive of the From Vim Help section on the home page for 2009.
- Press J to join lines, or gJ to join with no extra spaces. :help J
- Use :set nojoinspaces to get only one extra space with J. :help 'joinspaces'
- Use 'B' and 'M' in 'formatoptions' to control spacing with multi-byte characters when joining lines. :help fo-table
- The built-in printf() supports strings and numbers, including floating point. :help printf()
- Substitute can replace matches with an evaluated expression: :s/.../\=.../. :help sub-replace-expression
- In :s/.../\=.../ the expression can use submatch(0) to get the matched text. :help submatch()
- In normal mode, pressing Ctrl-^ edits the alternate file. :help CTRL-^
- In insert mode, pressing Ctrl-^ toggles :lmap language mappings. :help i_CTRL-^
- The command :language displays the current language (locale). :help :language
- The command :ka (useful in a script) sets mark a. :help :k
- Using g`" jumps to the last known position in a file without changing the jump list. :help g`
- Typing :keepmarks '<,'>!filter replaces the last selected lines with output from a filter, while keeping marks. :help :keepmarks
- Press Ctrl-w then o to see only the current window. :help CTRL-W_o
- Press Ctrl-w then r to rotate windows in a row or column. :help CTRL-W_r
- Press Ctrl-w then K to move the current window to the top (full width). :help CTRL-W_K
- In a range, . is the current line, and .+5 is 5 lines after the current line. :help :range
- Typing 6 then :s/old/new/g is interpreted as :.,.+5s/old/new/g :help N:
- Command :silent 'a,'bs/old/new/g will substitute in a range, swapping the first and last lines if necessary. :help E493
- Press R to enter Replace mode to overstrike characters. :help R
- Press gR to enter Virtual Replace mode to overstrike screen space. :help gR
- Press 3S to delete 3 lines and start insert (substitute lines). :help S