This is an archive of the From Vim Help section on the home page for 2009.
- Press J to join lines, or gJ to join with no extra spaces. :help J
- Use :set nojoinspaces to get only one extra space with J. :help 'joinspaces'
- Use 'B' and 'M' in 'formatoptions' to control spacing with multi-byte characters when joining lines. :help fo-table
- The built-in printf() supports strings and numbers, including floating point. :help printf()
- Substitute can replace matches with an evaluated expression: :s/.../\=.../. :help sub-replace-expression
- In :s/.../\=.../ the expression can use submatch(0) to get the matched text. :help submatch()
- In normal mode, pressing Ctrl-^ edits the alternate file. :help CTRL-^
- In insert mode, pressing Ctrl-^ toggles :lmap language mappings. :help i_CTRL-^
- The command :language displays the current language (locale). :help :language
- The command :ka (useful in a script) sets mark a. :help :k
- Using g`" jumps to the last known position in a file without changing the jump list. :help g`
- Typing :keepmarks '<,'>!filter replaces the last selected lines with output from a filter, while keeping marks. :help :keepmarks
- Press Ctrl-w then o to see only the current window. :help CTRL-W_o
- Press Ctrl-w then r to rotate windows in a row or column. :help CTRL-W_r
- Press Ctrl-w then K to move the current window to the top (full width). :help CTRL-W_K
- In a range, . is the current line, and .+5 is 5 lines after the current line. :help :range
- Typing 6 then :s/old/new/g is interpreted as :.,.+5s/old/new/g :help N:
- Command :silent 'a,'bs/old/new/g will substitute in a range, swapping the first and last lines if necessary. :help E493
- Press R to enter Replace mode to overstrike characters. :help R
- Press gR to enter Virtual Replace mode to overstrike screen space. :help gR
- Press 3S to delete 3 lines and start insert (substitute lines). :help S
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.