Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
created 2004 · complexity intermediate · author Øystein Urdahl · version 6.0
In 1:6.2-532+1 helpfiles was changed back to not being compressed anymore since that broke :helpg[rep]. That meant that instead of having the suffix .txt.gz they where back to just .txt. Naturally the helpfiles (opened by :help with friends) opens with 'nomodifiable' set since you are supposed to read them and not edit them. For me that made a problem since i had an :au (auto command) in my vimrc setting *.txt to have the iso-8859-1 (latin-1) fileencoding. Now I got an error every time I wanted to use the help system. To overcome this I changed my vimrc from this:
au BufNewFile,BufRead mutt*,*.txt,*/.followup set tw=77 ai nocindent fileencoding=iso-8859-1
" 'nomodifiable' disallows changes to 'fileformat' and 'fileencoding' so remove those entries in the else clause function! Noma_workaround() if exists("modifiable") set tw=77 ai nocindent fileencoding=iso-8859-1 else set tw=77 ai nocindent endif endfunction au BufNewFile,BufRead mutt*,*.txt,*/.followup call Noma_workaround()
In short this just mean that I call the Noma_workaround() function to determine if I can set the fileencoding or if that will give an error. In that case I jsut set the other options.
Your Noma_workaround will almost never set 'filencoding' to latin1 because
tests the existence of a _variable_ with that name. To test the _option_ with that name, you should use
to test if the option is functional, and/or
to test if it is currently true.
See :help exists()